Who Is Steven Hall? Sports Fan & Betting Enthusiast - Michigan/Detroit

Hello, everyone! Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today. While this post itself won't have much useful information in terms of sports, I thought it would make sense to first give some background information on myself. 

To start, the purpose of my future posts is to do nothing else but discuss Michigan Wolverines and Detroit sports, from a real-life, fantasy, and betting perspective. I -- at least, in my opinion -- have plenty of amazing thoughts bouncing around in this head of mine and have always wanted to share them. That's what I plan to do here. 

I'm not an "expert". I'm not a beat writer. I have no connections to any of the teams that I'll be talking about other than being a die-hard fan. Don't let that turn you away though! Below, I'll get into a bit more of who I am, and hopefully, that'll leave you with at least some sense of confidence that I know what I'm talking about (most of the time).

Growing Up

I was born and raised in a small town in the middle of Michigan called St. Louis. And when I say small town, I mean really small -- like, 75 total kids in my graduating class small. I was always a fan of Michigan teams, and same with the professional Detroit franchises. I've gone to countless games, meet-and-greets, and everything else that goes with being a superfan.

For me, I played football, basketball, and baseball up until high school, where I then played baseball year-round. I was a solid ballplayer and had thoughts of playing in college. Nothing crazy, but maybe a small community college or NAIA. Two shoulder surgeries later and I had enough of putting my body through it, so I decided to go a different route -- it just took me a while to realize it.

College

After high school, I earned an academic scholarship to Lansing Community College. I went for a few months, got anxious and depressed, and dropped out to move back home with my parents. I found a "normal" job working in a local warehouse, where I eventually worked my way up to assistant manager within my 5 years of working there.

During this time, a friend notified me of a seasonal job posting for college football betting predictions for Pickswise.com, a sports betting handicapping site. I applied, got the role, and from there, have expanded my knowledge of both sports betting and working online. I even went BACK to college and wound up getting a degree!

Career

Eventually, I earned a role with Pickswise's parent company, Spotlight Sports Group, as a part-time editor on the weekends. This role eventually expanded into being offered a full-time role as an assistant managing editor for US content. 

Unfortunately, I was laid off less than a year into it, along with nearly 50 other coworkers. As I try my best to always do, I quickly rebounded, and was soon offered a job as Site Performance Manager for FantasyAlarm.com, which is what I do now. I still get to work with sports each and every day, and even get to work from the comfort of my home. I just don't get to write as often anymore, which is my true passion. So, I figured, why not start something myself? So, here we are. 

What Now?

All of my friends have told me since the beginning of time that I need to put my sports knowledge to good use. I've begun to do that now, but I want to do that even further. It would be a dream of mine to someday get to travel with these teams and interview players and write game reports; and get paid for it. But this is the next best thing: jotting down my thoughts to share with y'all!

I'm always open to questions, comments, concerns, or just general conversations, too! If you'd like to connect with me, I'll leave some various outlets to do so below. Again, I appreciate anyone who took the time to read this, and may the future be bright!

Comments